Monday, July 5, 2010

Washington DC - Day 3

Our last day in DC we realized we still had a lot left we wanted to see.  We started the day at the Ford Theater. I gained a lot of insight into John Wilks Booth (Lincoln's assassin) and his motivations and personality.  Very interesting!
 Then we visited the Natural History Museum, to try and beat the crowds.  Well, it turns out, you CAN'T beat the crowds in Washington DC over 4th of July weekend.  We did see the Hope Diamond, the insects, and the dinosaurs.
Lily saw the Smithsonian Castle and told me we needed to go in there.  So we made a quick stop and she loved it.  Such a princess.
Then we ate our picnic lunch with the ants and the heat....not that I'm complaining.  Those PB&J quesadillas were such a good idea, but so soggy.  We were out of bread, but I thought a tortilla would be the same....definitely NOT the same.  When we finished lunch we went to the Air and Space Museum.


My favorite exhibit contained beautiful pictures of the earth, moon, other planets, their moons, and the sun.  It was really breathtaking.  I'm sure the Lord not only created our Earth, but the other planets as well.  They are so amazing!

The other neat thing we found at the Air and Space museum were these memory foam benches.  Very modern!
I had to try them out and it was about as comfortable as a toilet seat that's a little bit too big so you fall in.
The last place we visited was the botanical gardens.  These were a hidden GEM!  Not crowded and so beautiful.  I really miss visiting the Mercer Arboretum in Spring, TX and this reminded me of that.  It is right next to the capitol.
Here are some of my favorite pictures from the gardens.  There were so many that I loved!
We had thought about visiting the zoo in the afternoon, but it was so hot I thought we might die.  Plus with that heat the animals at the zoo had probably already perished.

We started on our drive back to Jersey and stopped at the Washington DC Temple Visitor's Center.  The temple there is so stunning.  I'd love to be able to go without kids sometime so Jeff and I could attend a session.


Overall a very fun and very memorable trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment