Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lady Liberty

We spent the day visiting Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and the Liberty Science Museum.  It was a blast!

We all enjoyed the ferry ride from Liberty State Park.  We sat up on top so we could have a good view.  It was a beautiful day.


Ever since we learned about Ellis Island my junior year of high school, I have wanted to go there.  It was really neat to visit someplace I remember learning about so well.  I don't think Jeff or the girls liked it quite as much as I did, but at least they tolerated it for me.
 
Ellis Island did have a special exhibit that the whole family enjoyed.  They had a "Barbies of the World" exhibit!  I took a picture by Brazil Barbie that I need to send to my bro, Sage, who is in Sao Paolo as we speak.



And doesn't Jeff make a lovely Lady Liberty?



After that disturbing image I'm sure you'd much rather see the real Lady Liberty.  When we finished at Ellis Island, we rode the ferry to the Statue of Liberty.  We took a few photos and then went up into the pedestal.

The pedestal has a neat museum with facts and history about the Statue of Liberty.  Here is Claire on a life sized replica of the statue's foot.
And here she is attacking a small model of the statue, Godzilla-style.
From the pedestal, you could see up inside the statue.  It made me really happy that we didn't have crown tickets because then we didn't have to climb that super long, windy, spiral staircase.


Next we rode the ferry back to Liberty State Park and had a picnic lunch in front of the Liberty Science Center because it seemed to be the only place in the park with shade.  And yes, the ants found our picnic.

The Science Center was really neat and very kid friendly.  They  had a special play area for small kids (<5) that our girls loved.  One of the neatest things we saw was this beam from the World Trade Center.  It was bent into a U-shape due to all the heat and pressure.  It was crazy to think about the stresses that beam was put through.

Lily really enjoyed climbing on the rock wall.
And Claire liked seeing the fish that were just her size!





No comments:

Post a Comment